Our pages conform at a minimum to Level A compliance as specified by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and endorsed by the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB). The majority of Level AA and AAA requirements are also met. Pages validate for HTML5 and CSS3, using structured semantic markup.
The following features improve usability for screen reader users, keyboard navigation and users of text-only browsers.
- Structured content that incorporate elements that allow quicker access to relevant information through role references, i.e. navigations, articles, headers and footers.
- Easily accessible navigation elements within the header, footer and main areas of the page.
- Hierarchical formatting of content for increased legibility and browser compatibility.
- Incorporated access keys (detailed within an accessibility page) that allow users to quickly access specific pages using keyboard shortcuts.
- Alternative content for non-text media, i.e. images and movies contain descriptions or subtitles.
- Full control of embedded media, i.e. play/pause and next/previous, etc.
- Focusable ‘skip’ navigation elements to move from the top of a page to the body and the body to the navigation.
- All interactive elements are styled using obvious/contrasting colours.
Accesskeys make sites more accessible for people who cannot use a mouse. They are keyboard shortcuts that replace the need to use the mouse for navigation. Here is the list of Accesskeys used on this site.
- Jump to main navigation [Accesskey 'n']
- Jump to main content [Accesskey 's']
- Jump to accessibility page [Accesskey '0']
- Jump to contact page [Accesskey '9']
- Jump to home/front page [Accesskey '1']
These accesskeys have been chosen to follow the UK Government website guidelines.
At the start of every page is a short menu that allows you to jump directly to the most important parts of the page, including main navigation and content. Each of these also has an access key associated with it. Sighted users who use the keyboard to navigate will see these links appear on screen when using the Tab key to navigate through the page.